Michael concentrates his practice in the areas of real estate and development, land use, and utility infrastructure representing developers, builders, businesses and landowners throughout Florida. He has lobbied extensively on federal, state and local policy issues affecting the real estate and utility industries and is frequently asked to advance legislative changes and regulatory incentives on behalf of individual clients and projects.
During his professional career, Michael has handled a broad range of real estate and land use matters involving residential, commercial, office, industrial, waterfront, and institutional uses and properties. Leveraging a strong background in urban planning, Michael has been able to successfully develop and implement strategies to secure a variety of regulatory approvals for his clients, such as comprehensive plan and zoning changes, variances, special and conditional uses, vested rights and non- conforming uses, alcohol licensing, site and construction plans, environmental and wetland impacts, subdivision and platting, and building permits. His representation has involved numerous amendments to Developments of Regional Impact (DRIs), as well as the establishment of owner associations and community development districts.
In the telecommunications and energy sectors, Michael has been responsible for developing and implementing complex, multi-jurisdictional (federal, state and local) land use, permitting, and exemption strategies for developers and operators of large scale, time sensitive utility projects. He has represented tower developers and service providers in connection with over 100 new and modified antenna sites throughout Florida. And with regard to natural gas, Michael has coordinated with state and local governments and agencies throughout Florida in connection with multiple expansions of federally regulated transmission pipeline facilities.
Prior to joining Petitt Worrell, Michael was a Shareholder with Bricklemyer, Smolker & Bolves, PA and Michael Brooks, PA.
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Development
- Land Use & Zoning
- Governmental Affairs
- Growth Management & Urban Planning
- Utility Regulation
- Natural Gas
- Licensed to Practice Law in Florida
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Florida Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- NAIOP Tampa Bay (President: 2012)
- NAIOP of Florida (V.P. Government Affairs: 2010 & 2011)
- NAIOP Tampa Bay (V.P. Government Affairs: 2008 -2010)
- NAIOP Quality Growth PAC
- Tampa Bay Regional Coalition (Vice Chair: 2009 – 2011)
- Appointed: Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Panel Interview Participant
- Hillsborough County Economic Prosperity Strategy (2012)
- Appointed: City of Tampa Economic
- Competitiveness Committee (2011 – 2012)
- Appointed: Hillsborough County Cellular Communications Advisory Committee (2010 – 2011)
- Leadership Tampa: Class of 2010
- Stetson University College of Law
- University of Florida